Sacramento International Airport
(SMF) is ready to serve holiday travelers with festive holiday decorations, live entertainment and abundant options for last-minute shopping. Whether flying out or picking up loved ones, customers are encouraged to arrive early, anticipate delays and be prepared by checking parking lot status
and downloading the PassioGO! app.
The biggest crowds are expected Dec. 21-23 with a second rush expected on Dec. 26 as holiday travelers fly home. Here are a few tips to make your travel experience easier.
If You Are Catching A Flight:
- The airport recommends travelers arrive at least two hours in advance of flight departure to allow time to park, check bags and to get through security stress free.
- If you are flying out of Terminal A (United, Delta, American) plan on a 40 minute wait at peak times (5 a.m. – 6 a.m.).
- Parking lots will fill and close, so please plan to arrive early, and keep an eye out for signs directing you to open lots, including our new Overflow Lot.
- Visit out the interactive parking map to see current availability and download the PassioGO! app to see real-time parking shuttle status and ETA.
- Parking overnight at the Hourly B lot is not recommended, as it is designed – and priced – for people meeting and greeting passengers in Terminal B.
- The app-based ride service pick-up location for Terminal B is now located across the street adjacent to Hourly Lot B. Exit baggage claim via Door #2, cross the street and follow the signs.
If You Are Picking Someone Up:
- Don’t circle the terminal looking for your passenger. Save time and gasoline by using the Free Waiting Area, also known as the cell phone lot. Visitors can park and wait until their passenger calls to let them know they have their bags and are at the curb ready to be picked up. Both terminals are a 3-minute drive away.
- The doors at Terminal B are numbered. Tell your passenger to pick a numbered door to stand by. Traffic is most congested by doors 1 and 2. It may be easier to pick up passengers outside doors 3 and 4.
- Live musical entertainment will be featured in the baggage claim area in both terminals December 19-23.
- To make traveling easier, pet therapy dogs from the Boarding Area Relaxation Corp. (BARC) will be onsite to sooth passengers.
- Follow the airport’s Facebook and Twitter pages for travel tips and updates.