Ditch your car and dust off your bike because May is Bike Month! Not only is cycling transit better for the environment, it is better for you too. Cycling just one hour a day at a leisurely pace can burn 500 calories or more. Cycling to work instead of driving reduces air pollution and traffic congestion. Weekend cycling is a great family activity and Sacramento County boasts miles of off-road bike paths in addition to many bike-friendly county streets.
Bike month is filled with friendly challenges, events and prizes! Start a challenge at your workplace, school or among friends. Cyclists that register and log miles are eligible for weekly prizes.
Bike month events include:
• May 1 – The 3-mile Mather Bike Ride begins at Sacramento County Environmental Management (in the southwest corner of the parking lot at 10590 Armstrong Road) at 12 noon. There are free bike tune-ups at 11 a.m. RSVP to Bike Month Coordinator, Bree Taylor, firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25th. Please visit http://www.50corridor.com/ for more information on various events.
• May 7 – The 7th Annual “Great Scott! Bike and Walk Event” featuring vehicle-free roads for bikers and pedestrians. Enjoy 30 miles of car-free roads, food, music and more. Sponsored by Sacramento County Department of Transportation.
• May 11 - Join Capitol BikeFest on the West Lawn of the State Capitol from 11-1pm. Attendees are encouraged to bicycle to the event and take advantage of the free bike valet parking by SABA (Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates) and quick-fix maintenance booth.
• May 19 – National Bike to Work Day. Biking to work is easy with trails and bike-friendly lanes all over the region. For a full map of bike trails in the Sacramento region, check out the Sacramento County Handy Bikeway Map. Sacramento bike trails are relatively flat, so don’t worry about working up too much of a sweat in your suit!
• April – May Be sure to visit Energizer Stations during the months of April and May to refuel and snap a picture to post on social media. Log trips/miles to earn badges and enter weekly drawings for gift certificates and MIBM socks! Sponsored by Sacramento County Regional Parks and Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG).
• For exact dates, locations and times visit the events page at May is Bike Month.
Bike Month for Kids:
• Learn to Ride Right coloring page
• Bicycle Safety: What Every Parent Should Know
• Check out the Bike Month Kids Program
Bike Month is full of fun, fitness, challenges, prizes and a chance to help the environment and cut back on roadway congestion. Talk to your family, friends and co-workers about how you plan to reduce vehicle usage and take full advantage of bike month!
Stay up to date with the latest news, a full list of events and details at mayisbikemonth.com.
About Bike Month
Established in 1956, National Bike Month was created to showcase the benefits of bicycling. And, now, thousands of people join the activities by pledging miles and earning prizes. Ride your bike to work, school, or for recreation and log all the miles you ride. Get all the details and register at Mayisbikemonth.com.