The annual vote to elect a new Chair and Vice Chair of the Board of Supervisors was held Tuesday, Jan. 15. This year’s elected Chair is Supervisor Patrick Kennedy of District 2, and Phil Serna of District 1 was elected Vice Chair.
“I am ready and excited to serve as Sacramento County’s Board Chair for 2019,” said Patrick Kennedy, District 2 Supervisor. “I look forward to working with my colleagues on the Board of Supervisors as well as our community partners to make sure Sacramento County remains a safe, healthy and prosperous place to live and do business."
In addition to electing a new Chair and Vice Chair, three County Supervisors were sworn in for four-year terms.
- Phil Serna, First Supervisorial District; Oath Administered By Roxanna Recinos-Serna
- Patrick Kennedy, Second Supervisorial District; Oath Administered By Gregory D. Thatch
- Don Nottoli, Fifth Supervisorial District; Oath Administered By Keith Bray
Board Chair responsibilities include the following:
- Presides over the Board meetings; the vice chairperson assumes the role in the chairperson’s absence or inability to act. If the chair and vice chair are absent or unable to preside, the members present will select a member present to act as temporary chairperson.
- Acts on procedural matters or questions.
- Recognizes a member of the board desiring to speak on an item.
- Is entitled to vote on all matters before the Board, participate in discussion relating to any matter, make motions without relinquishing the chair, and second any motion without relinquishing the chair.
- Sits on other boards/commissions as a representative of the County of Sacramento and is the point of contact for questions from the public regarding the meetings (i.e., coordination of resolutions/presentations and general questions not specific to a district, etc.).