Owning and operating a restaurant requires great focus to ensure that food safety is maintained. To commemorate these efforts, the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department (EMD) recognizes all Sacramento County food facility operators who have achieved three consecutive health inspections without major violations. Deserving operators are presented with a Food Safety Award of Excellence in September, which is recognized nationally as Food Safety Month.
Food facility inspections are conducted unannounced by EMD up to three times a year to enforce health code compliance and prevent foodborne illness. There are 526 food establishments countywide, which range from restaurants, retail markets, schools, bakeries and bars that have earned an Environmental Management 2015/16 Food Safety Award of Excellence.
EMD director Val Siebal said, “It’s important to recognize these award recipients for giving their focus to high standards of food safety in their food facilities.”
Of those 526 honored, one establishment from each of the five Sacramento County supervisorial districts has been chosen to receive their certificate at the September 13 Board of Supervisors meeting.
Food Safety Award of Excellence District Representative Honorees:
- Edible Events located off Del Paso Blvd caters a spectrum of food from simple to spectacular. Whether it’s a special occasion or lunch in the boardroom, only locally sourced, seasonal ingredients are used to create the perfect menu.
- John D Sloat School in the Sacramento City Unified School District on Candlewood Way not only nurtures elementary school children’s’ minds, it also nourishes with safely prepared food for its students.
- Boudin SF on Fair Oaks Blvd in Loehmann’s Plaza carries on the tradition of San Francisco sourdough bread to create the perfect bowl of chowder or baguette sandwiches, as well as offering salads, pizza and breakfast.
- Rosie’s Country Kitchen on Auburn Blvd has something for every craving. Tempting breakfast favorites abound and are served all day. Other offerings include sandwiches, burgers, steaks, seafood and poultry, as well as Indian delights.
- Ginelle’s Bakery, a family-owned business located on Bruceville Road is a Filipino-American bakery that offers an extensive-range of beautiful specialty breads and pastries sure to make you happy.
Is your favorite food establishment a recipient of the 2016 Award of Excellence for Food Safety?