On September 8th, the Sacramento County Department of Regional Parks will open the Off-Paved Trail Cycling Pilot Program in the Woodlake and Cal Expo areas of the American River Parkway. Mountain bikers will be allowed to ride six miles of unpaved maintenance and fire roads in these areas during a trial period from September 2017 to 2020. Mountain biking remains prohibited throughout the American River Parkway outside of the Woodlake and Cal Expo areas.
The purpose of the pilot is to determine whether Off-Paved Trail Cycling can be an appropriate permanent use in the American River Parkway. After the three year trial period and evaluation, this pilot program may be made a permanent use with an Area Plan Map Amendment approved by the Board of Supervisors.
Pilot trail map:
- Communicate your presence
- Cyclists and hikers yield to equestrians
- Stay on designated trails
- Building features on trails is prohibited
- No riding on wet trails
- Obey all signs and barriers
- Off-paved cycling is prohibited in the Parkway outside of the Woodlake and Cal Expo areas
- Skill level: Easy
- Average grade: </=5%
- Obstacles: infrequent and insubstantial