The annual vote to elect a new Chair and Vice Chair of the Board of Supervisors was held on Tuesday, January 9. This year, the Chair is Supervisor Susan Peters of District 3, and Patrick Kennedy of District 2 was voted Vice Chair.
“I’m pleased to serve as Sacramento County’s Board Chair for 2018,” said Susan Peters, District 3 Supervisor. “I look forward to a productive year with my colleagues, County staff, residents and community partners in order to ensure the County is an ideal place to work, live and thrive."
The Board of Supervisors showed their appreciation of the previous 2017 Board Chair Supervisor Don Nottoli by contributing funds on his behalf to the Sacramento County Gifts from the Heart program and presented him with a ceremonial check.
The additional Chair and Vice Chair responsibilities involve the following:
- Presides over the Board meetings; the vice chairperson assumes the role in the chairperson’s absence or inability to act. If the chair and vice chair are absent or unable to preside, the members present will select a member present to act as temporary chairperson.
- Acts on procedural matters or questions.
- Recognizes a member of the board desiring to speak on an item.
- Is entitled to vote on all matters before the Board, participate in discussion relating to any matter, make motions without relinquishing the chair, and second any motion without relinquishing the chair.
- Sits on other boards/commissions as a representative of the County of Sacramento and is the point of contact for questions from the public regarding the meetings (i.e., coordination of resolutions/presentations and general questions not specific to a district, etc.).
The Chair and Vice Chair serve annual terms.