As the New Year begins, it is not too early to think about filing federal taxes. The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a benefit for which many taxpayers qualify.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers a free income tax preparation service to moderate and low-income working individuals and families with the emphasis on claiming the federal Earned Income Tax Credit.
All Tax Payers earning a gross income of $54,000 or less qualify for this Free Tax Preparation Service.
Earned Income and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) must each be less than:
- $47,955 ($53,505 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children, maximum credit: $6,269
- $44,648 ($50,198 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children, maximum credit $5,572
- $39,296 ($44,846 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child, maximum credit $3,373
- $14,880 ($20,430 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children, maximum credit $506
Investment Income must be $3,350 or less for the year.
The Department of Human Assistance (DHA) will have tax preparers available to complete your taxes from January 31 – March 30, 2017 by appointment at all four (4) locations.
|2700 Fulton Ave.|||
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
5:00 pm- 8:00 pm
|||9:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|5747 Watt Ave.||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm||||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm||||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm|||
|2450 Florin Rd.||||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm||||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm||||9:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|10013 Folsom Blvd||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm||||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm||||5:00 pm - 8:00 pm|||
- Call the Sacramento Info Line 2-1-1, or (916) 498-1000 to make appointments at any one of the four locations listed above. All locations take walk-ins, but appointments have priority.
All sites will be closed on February 13, 17, 18 and 20.
What to Bring to Tax Sites
- Valid Photo ID (for you and your spouse)
- Social Security cards for all persons on your tax return
- All tax forms (W2s, 1099s, student loan interest/tuition statements, book receipts, etc).
- Last year’s tax return (if available)
- If you plan to itemize your deductions, bring the necessary paperwork (mortgage interest statement, real estate taxes, charitable donations, etc.)
- If you had health insurance through the Affordable Care Act or Medi-Cal, the 1095-A and/or 1095-B
- If you are married filing jointly, both spouses must attend
These services are provided by DHA and the Capital Region Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Coalition.