The presentation recognized the top environmentally proactive Sacramento area businesses whose work practices demonstrate an outstanding commitment to enhancing sustainability.
Recipient Awards & Accomplishments:
United States Cold Storage – Energy Conservation Award
- Has partnered with SMUD through participation in their energy efficiency incentive programs, Power Direct Program and installing solar panels and a future battery system.
- Is in the process of converting their gas yard to all electric.
- Has participated in SMUD’s Custom Retrofit incentive program by installing innovative quick-freeze fan systems in their existing warehouse.
Cal Waste Recovery Systems – Pollution Prevention
- Designed and installed a new high-technology Material Recycling Facility (MRF) which improved the throughput/processing from 11 tons per hour to 30 tons per hour with an annual process rate of 130,000 tons.
- This new technology is more efficient and has higher capture rates for recyclables. For example, mixed glass has a 99.2% capture rate with the new technology.
- Even with all of the extraordinary technological improvements, they still occupy the same 100,000 sq. ft. building.
- Building off their 1.9-megawatt Photovoltaic facility, SCDA is converting the airport shuttle bus fleet from compressed natural gas (CNG) to zero-emission electric vehicles (ZEV)
- Since acquiring their first ZEV bus in 2019, SCDA took delivery of five buses in September 2021, and an additional eight buses were just bid out for the summer of 2022.
- The result of converting these shuttle busses is an annual reduction of nearly four million pounds of Greenhouse Gases.
The American Institute of Architects California – Green Building
- Completely renovated and modernized an existing building in midtown Sacramento with an all-elective design for their new headquarters.
- All equipment within the building is emission-free, and all of the electricity used is generated from 100% renewable energy.
- For energy conservation, they utilize efficient heat pump technology for space heating needs.
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) – Solid Waste Reduction
- In 2018 EGUSD Nutrition Services and Maintenance operations departments partnered with Breathe California to launch food waste recycling programs in two elementary schools. These programs are now active in 19 elementary and K-8 schools.
- Since food recycling relies heavily on student and staff motivation, EGUSD Nutrition services have streamlined messaging to promote reduction, recycling and food waste diversion.
- In addition to recycling food waste, the schools have started “food share” tables where food can be donated as long as it is unwanted and uneaten edible food. These stations encourage students to donate food to food-insecure classmates and help with the reduction of waste.
Green Acres Nursery and Supply – Water Conservation
- In 2020 and 2021 Green Acres included information about available water efficiency and conservation rebates in several locations including in-store and on their website.
- Green acres added dedicated staff in the irrigation departments of their stores to help inform customers about available water-efficient devices and proper watering practices.
- In 2021 Green acres launched a gardening podcast series that covers a wide range of topics including outdoor water efficiency.
For businesses and organizations in the Sacramento region that pledge to adopt environmentally friendly practices and conserve resources, BERC’s Sustainable Business Program is the region’s benchmark for achieving sustainable practices. Since its establishment in 2007, the program has performed more than 500 certifications and has awarded over 200 unique businesses.