The Sacramento County Recommended Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22
has been released. The Board of Supervisors will begin hearings on the Recommended Budget at 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, June 9 in Board Chambers at the Sacramento County Administration building, located at 700 H Street in Sacramento.
The hearings will continue beginning at 9:30 a.m. through June 10 and June 11, if necessary.
The $6.5 billion spending plan is a 1.8% increase compared to the FY 2020-21 Adopted Budget and avoids significant reductions in programs and services. The spending plan includes new investments in the General Fund in a number of areas, including:
- Dealing with the impact of homelessness on our community;
- Providing an alternative to police response to people experiencing mental illness;
- Addressing critical needs for capital improvements in the Parks system and at the Mather Community Campus; and
- Improving the condition of County roads.
The General Fund Budget also includes additional funding to address critical technology needs, to meet legal mandates and compliance requirements, and to deal with the most urgent health and safety issues.
The budget is balanced with approximately $120 million in one-time discretionary and Semi-discretionary (Realignment and Proposition 172) resources. Once the Base Budget (existing staff and programs) was funded, the County addressed meeting community needs and longer-term sustainability by allocating any remaining discretionary resources essentially as follows:
- 1/3 to ongoing new programs and services ;
- 1/3 to one-time new programs and services;
- 1/3 to building General Fund Reserves.
Scheduled presentations to be heard, in order:
- Introduction by the County Executive
- Overview of Recommended Budget
- Non-Law Enforcement Alternative Emergency Response to Persons Dealing with Mental Health Issues
- Homeless Encampment Initiative
- County Road Pavement Rehabilitation Initiative
- New Property Tax System
- Presentations from other County departments as needed
- Public Comment
- Board Deliberation/Approval
- Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)
- IHSS Public Authority Budget
The budget letter and a complete set of budget documents may be found online
and at the County Executive’s Office, 700 H Street, Room 7650. The recommended budget is a preliminary spending plan; the Final budget will be presented to the Board in September for approval.