If you haven’t already, now is a great time to think about filing income taxes. Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a benefit for which anyone with a household income less than $60,000 may qualify.
The County of Sacramento Department of Human Assistance (DHA)
has again partnered with the United Way California Capital Region to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Program. This program offers a free income tax preparation service to moderate and low-income working individuals and families with the emphasis on claiming the federal Earned Income Tax Credit.
All taxpayers earning a gross income of $60,000 or less qualify for this Free Tax Preparation Service. For the 2019 tax year, the earned income credit ranges from $529 to $6,557 depending on your filing status and how many children you have.
Investment Income must be $3,600 or less for the year.
DHA sites will be available through April 4, 2020, by appointment at four (4) following locations:
- 5747 Watt Ave: Monday/Wednesday/Friday 5 – 8 p.m.
- 2700 Fulton Ave: Tuesday/Thursday 5 – 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- 2450 Florin Rd: Tuesday/Thursday 5 – 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- 10013 Folsom Blvd: Monday/Wednesday/Friday 5 – 8 p.m.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Valid Photo ID (for you and your spouse)
- Social Security cards for all persons on your tax return
- All tax forms (W2s, 1099s, student loan interest/tuition statements, book receipts, etc.).
- Last year’s tax return (if available)
- If you plan to itemize your deductions, bring the necessary paperwork (mortgage interest statement, real estate taxes, charitable donations, etc.)
- If you had health insurance through the Affordable Care Act or Medi-Cal, the 1095-A and/or 1095-B
- If you are married filing jointly, both spouses must attend
Call the 2-1-1, or (916) 498-1000 to make appointments at any one of the four locations listed above. All locations take walk-ins, but appointments have priority.