The Sacramento County Environmental Management Department
(EMD) inspectors are making sure the operators of the 160 food stands at the California State Fair from July 12-28 are preparing those traditional fair delicacies like corn dogs and snow cones to bacon cinnamon rolls and vegan Philly cheesesteaks using safe food practices.
MEDIA OPPORTUNITY: County health inspectors will be onsite at Cal Expo to conduct opening day food booth inspections.
- When: Friday, July 12, 2018 – between 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Cal Expo, 1600 Exposition Blvd, Sacramento - Please check-in at Media Center
- Contact: Mark Barcellos; 916-591-2933
Kelly McCoy, Environmental Health Division Chief, said, “These food vendors at the California State Fair will be inspected for the same safe food handling practices as all our restaurants in our County to ensure food safety health codes are followed.”
Health inspectors will be working throughout the duration of the fair doing unannounced inspections, investigating food-related complaints, and providing education to vendors. Some of the things inspectors will be looking for are:
- Preparation of fresh food every day. No cooling of food for next day use is allowed.
- Food temperature: Keeping hot food hot and cold food cold.
- Approved source of food.
- Proper handwashing procedures.
- Ensuring safe water supplies and proper sewage disposal.