Free income tax preparation services are available for working individuals and families who earned $54,000 or less in 2015. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) will be offered at 15 sites throughout Sacramento County, February 1 - April 10, during week days and select Saturdays, with services in multiple languages are available.
IRS certified tax preparers will assist in claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable credit for those with low to moderate earned income, and any other qualifying refunds. Tax returns are submitted electronically and refunds can be directly deposited into the taxpayer’s bank account within 3 to 4 weeks of filing.
Along with the Federal EITC, the state of California now offers an EITC. To qualify for the California EITC you must have earned income in 2015; with a maximum income limit of $6,580 without dependents, up to $9,880 with one dependent, and up to $13,870 with two or more dependents. To qualify for the federal EITC, earnings must not exceed $20,330 without dependents, $44,651 with one dependent, $49,974 with two dependents, and $53,267 with three or more.
What to bring to your Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program Appointment:
- Valid Photo ID (for you and your spouse)
- Social Security Cards for all persons on your tax return
- All tax forms (W2s, 1099s, student loan interest/tuition statements, book receipts, etc.)
- Last year’s tax return (if available)
- If you plan to itemize your deductions, bring the necessary paperwork (mortgage interest statement, real estate taxes, charitable donations, etc.)
- If you had health insurance through the Affordable Care Act or Medi-Cal, provide 1095-A and/or 1095-B
- If you are married filing jointly, both spouses must attend
Super Saturday Events, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.:
- Grant Union High School (1400 Grand Ave, Sacramento, CA 95838)
- Saturday, February 27
- Saturday, April 2
- Hiram Johnson High School (6879 14th Ave, Sacramento, CA 95820)
- Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services (3308 Third Ave, Sacramento, CA 95817)
- Saturday, February 20
- Saturday, March 12
- Saturday, April 9 & Sunday, April 10
For more information and to schedule your appointment, visit the United Way California Capital Region website or dial 2-1-1 Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.
Writer: Alicia Solheim, Communication and Media Intern